Preds versus Redwings, game Six of the quarterfinals
Okay. If you had asked me a year ago if I am a hockey fan I would have said, "Pshaahh! Like, no way, dude." If you asked me this afternoon, when I was tensely balled up on the couch with my fingers in my mouth, I wouldn't have answered for fear of missing a few seconds of the game. Yes, that's right... "My name is Rachel. And I am a hockey fan." (This is where the chorus of readers responds in unison with, "Hi, Rachel.")
I'm not about to get into all the hockey that's happened during this season. Just that I am a Nashville Predators fan, all the way. I have never been interested in any sport, much less have I ever recapped a game. But here is my two cents worth regarding the last game of the Predators' 2003/04 season, game six of the quarterfinals, that took place this afternoon, April 17, 2004.
Detroit came out pissing vinegar because we had given them a run for their money in four of the previous five games. We were eighth seed, they were first. With four wins needed to proceed to the next round, no one was ever expecting a fifth game. No one was expecting us to make eighth seed. Nashville is a young team, Detroit has a lot of veterans. They have age and experience on their side, all we have is speed and a firey energy, a determination to make the Predators a team that is no longer laughed at and brushed aside as some southern fluke of a team. And that speed and energy is precisely what helped us win two games against the Redwings, with two other games incredibly close the entire time. I think the Preds have caused some upset in the hockey world -- we have gained at least a little respect from many who never gave us a second thought, and many more are questioning what's going to happen in the coming years. With such a young team, we are no doubt going to steamroll into something good, and a little patience is all that's needed to make us into something great. So here's my recap of today's game: Detroit scored two goals in the first two minutes of the game. They caught us off guard and took advantage of it. Trotsy called a time out immediately after this initial upset, and from that point on the Preds played their hearts out. Trotsy must be a hell of a good coach. During a break in the telecast they said when he was a player, he broke five vertebrae in his neck and back due to a headfirst crash into the wall, and he finished playing the game with that injury. He's a tough guy and a nice guy, and I'm so glad he's finally getting the players he deserves to coach. The first five minutes of the game were controlled by the Redwings. After that, Vokoun put up his invisible force field to not let a single puck through his net, and the Nashville guys tried their hardest to score against the Redwings. Simply put, the Redwings defense was amazing. At any given moment, it seemed like there were almost twice as many Redwings on the ice as Preds, because their formations are so tight and their game is so resolved. Which is expected due to their veteran experience. However, our guys never let up and kept the Redwings at bay for the following fifty-something minutes. Kudos to Brad Bombardir of Nashville for helping Vokoun with one potential goal for the Redwings in the first period -- the puck slipped in through Vokoun's legs and touched the red line when Bombardir scooped it out from under Vokoun, who was going down on top of the puck and would have possibly knocked it in accidentally, or so it would seem from the angle he was falling shown on the slo-mo replay. Kudos also to Mark Eaton, who seemed to be right on top of his game the entire time. I don't think he has ever jumped out (to me) as such a key player as he did today. I give him my star of the game. Martin Erat was also on top of the puck whenever on the ice, and made some nice attempts at goals. He looks like a fish when he glides on the ice. My only concern with Erat's game was that he handled the puck for too long a few times -- trying to do it all himself rather than passing at opportune times, and the Redwings stole the puck. Damn, Erat is sexy, you know! He's easily the sexiest player on the team, you know. Can I talk about how sexy Erat is? um.... You know, maybe I'll keep that to myself. Steve Sullivan played strong today, as did Scott Walker. Too bad Walker has to settle for assists only during his first playoffs ever -- maybe next year he'll get a playoff goal. Even York wasn't too bad today -- my fiance is always going on about his stupid mistakes, and I didn't see any major mistakes today. And let me say that Jordin Tootoo was great -- he put some major hits on the Redwings, but didn't let his temper get him a retalliation penalty. Even when one of the Redwings on the bench grabbed his head and almost pulled his helmet off when he was pinned against the wall -- the refs should have called a penalty on the guy on the bench. I don't even know who it was, but the dick pulled his hands away from Tootoo's head and immediately looked in the other direction like, "What? I didn't do anything!" I was watching ABC's telecast of the game and they showed this foul play in slo-mo. Good for Toots that he kept his cool and kept on playing. It was amazing hearing the ABC guys talk about him, and how they thought Tootoo should be on the ice more because he brings an energy to the crowd that isn't always there. At the beginning of the playoffs, the tv guys didn't give a damn about Nashville. But today they were singing praises about how enthusiastic the Nashville crowd is, and how the GEC just roars with excitement. I think we finally have the respect we deserve. And for those who don't give our guys the respect they deserve? Just wait until next year.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home