Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Toasted Marshmallows Vs. Toasted Peeps

Which one do YOU think won the contest?

I had both at the little "campfire" my brother and I had in the yard tonight. We call it a campfire, but is it really a campfire if you're not camping near it? We like to sit outside and roast hotdogs and toast marshmallows and drink beers on a semi-regular basis, so there's always an ashy spot with chunks of wood and tree limbs lying around.
Maybe I should call it the "Fire Spot" or "Charred Wood Pile". It's actually about two acres away from the house, in a field surrounded by trees and a screaming sasquatch (who did NOT make an appearance tonight, though we had an ax and a machete ready in case it snuck up behind us before belting out its 3,000 decibel mating scream.)

And so I was out to solve the age old question, is a toasted Peep as good as a toasted marshmallow? Or possibly even better?

Q: But a Peep IS a marshmallow, Rachel. There's no need for a comparison, is there?

A: Oh, how wrong you are, Terry. A Peep is anything but a simple, mundane, banal marshmallow. See, Terry, a Peep is coated with colorful granulated sugar with two waxy little eyes, which are, by the way, stamped on by hand. Do ya think I watch too much FOOD Network? Maybe I just have a thing for Mark Summers of "Unwrapped." Did you know he has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder so bad that he used to straighten the fringe on his rug, on his hands and knees, in the wee hours of the morning? And NO that is not meant to be read as anything with a sexual connotation. I'm simply giving a shout out to my fellow OCD brethren. I don't give a gat dang about carpet fringe. It's lightswitches that get my panties in a wad. When nobody's around I turn them on and off in a specific sequence upon entering or leaving a room. And if any of you bastards give me beef about it, I'll sneeze on you. Did I mention I'm a germaphobe too? And that sneezes exit the human body at approximately 90 miles per hour?

LA DE DEEEEE DAAAA

Peeps. Marshmallows. Who won?

I have to say the champion is the tried and true regular plain ole ordinary marshmallow. The reason why? The granulated sugar of a Peep develops a taste similar to that of an old sweaty shoe when it becomes even the lightest toasty shade of brown. I had hoped it would taste like caramel, because that's basically what caramel is... cooked sugar. But nope! Old sweaty shoe. And there ya have it.

1 Comments:

At 5/11/2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

peeps are best in their natural state, stale. do you remember when emily and i killed her microwave blowing up peeps with toothpicks stuck in the so they would stab each other?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home